Dear Eagle’s Nest Parents,
Highlights from this week:
- Thursday is the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah, which is the Jewish new year. I will be out of school on Thursday in observance of this holiday. Shanah Tovah !(Happy New Year in Hebrew). Our substitute teacher will be Ms. Nancy, a teacher with Montessori training who has subbed at BWE in the past.
- Friday is our field trip to the MN history Center. In the morning we will attend a show by the Black Story Tellers Alliance. We will stay at the Museum and view the exhibits in the afternoon and return by 3:30. Details are on the permission slip that came home yesterday.
- Spanish Instruction started this week. Ms. Nuria has been showing small groups a slide show about the country of Spain, where she is from.
- Music Instruction by El Sistema Starts on Oct 7th.
- We read two great books this week: One about a boy who counts over 4 million things, the other about the life of Dizzy Gillespie. More info on the website…..
- Monday was picture day. In about 2 weeks, order forms will come home and you can decide which photos you want to buy. We took individual and whole class photos.
- We have recess twice a day but it’s never more than 40 minutes total ( like every other class) . Research shows that physical activity stimulates the brain. Our assigned recess time is 3:00-3:40 but I find that a short 10 minute recess after lunch from 12:30-12:40 helps children last through the afternoon. This midday recess will probably change as we get into winter and music lessons.
I Love Books: 9/24/14 Need some good books? Hennepin County frequently sells children’s (and other great books) for 25 cents to $1! The sales are roughly every 3 months. Roosevelt Library Saturday, Oct. 18, 10a.m.–3 p.m. 4026 28th Ave. S.Minneapolis, 55406 612-543-6700 http://www.hclib.org/pub/events/BookSales.cfm
Focus: Biology and Research
I read a book by Marion Wright Edelman a long time ago, The Measure of Our Success.
In that book, she explains that when she was a child, her dad would ask her to “assign herself” some homework. So, in addition, to the weekly reading and writing homework, I encourage children to pursue their own passions at home. All the children seem to be buzzing about biology lately. Sunny just molted yesterday and I gathered a small mixed group of 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders to do some observation and follow up study. The Betas are continuing to delve into zoology. Gammas are studying Botany and Alphas are learning the difference between vertebrates and invertebrates. Ask them to find their backbone!
If children want to do internet research from home, please check the website. There are a few resources there under students: https://bwmsen.wordpress.com/students/
More on website….
Notes from the PTO and Jenny Bolling:
Families! Our next PTO meeting/Parent Ed event is on Monday, October 13 at 5:30pm. It is a BIG one – this is your chance to have an effect on the future of Bright Water. We are going to discuss strategic planning for the school and look to see what the next years hold for us. It will be a unique opportunity to get to know your fellow parents and where they think our school should head. Please remember to RSVP to Jenny at email@example.com. Click now and be done with it!! It will help us plan for food and chairs – also doubly important, CHILDCARE. Please let me know the names and ages of your children who will be needing care. There will be a main dish, and Eagle’s Nest is responsible for side dishes. DON’T MISS IT!
Eagle’s Nest Families – Here’s the story about the side dishes. Think salads, fruit, appetizers, dessert. If you are attending the meeting, please come a few minutes early and bring your dish with you. We set up the food downstairs outside preschool extended day. If you are unable to attend, please leave your food in the staff break room (also on the lower level just past Children’s House Three) either on the counter or in the refrigerator. Please label clearly for PTO. Thank you – this helps makes these meetings possible for everyone rushing from work with children to get here – it is truly a special component!
“Parents! We have nailed down two dates to create our paper violins for El Sistema. We will meet at the school on Wednesday, October 1 and Thursday, October 2 from 6:00pm to 7:30pm. Thank you to everyone who signed up – I will send out personal reminders as we get closer. BUT all families are welcome to join us – whether or not you have signed up.
There were a few families that offered to cut out pieces at home. El Sistema is going to drop off pieces at the main office, and I will let you know when it has arrived. Questions? Contact Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.”