Charles R. Smith Jr. is one of my favorite authors and poets. I fell in love with his book, Rimshots, because he loves basketball and I love basketball and I didn’t know you could write poems about basketball until he did it.
I’ve since read many of his books (and written many poems).
I hope you enjoy his book talk below.
Some of his books:
- His website: http://charlesrsmithjr.com/
Sarah Kay says, ” I write poem to figure thing out.”
Kay Sarah Sera
“I am young enough to know about Magic Cats” and Fairies. Are you?
Poet, Sarah Kay, reading one of her poems:
Here’s another of her poems, that actually became a short picture book called
“If I should have a daughter…”
(Teachers, Check out “Ten Things I Know to Be True”
Why do you think she decided to call it that? Do you think she would say the same things to her son? Why or why not?
What verse will you add to the cosmic story ?
What will be YOUR gift to this wide wise world?
Some of my favorite poets:
- Life Doesn’t Frighten Me:
- https://www.youtube.com/embed/JUE3_qGWIXw“>What I Be
- Poetry is an excellent first writing project for reluctant writers. Children will be exposed to reading and writing Haiku and free verse. Rhyming poetry while silly and engaging is really challenging for young children to write. Please help by exposing your child to poetry that doesn’t rhyme….”free verse.”
- There is a poetry contest that both Fox Den and Eagle’s Nest will be entering. The deadline is at the end of February. More details to come. For now, know that the deadline is in February.
Want to write some poetry RIGHT NOW?
Here’s a fun website that can help:
Free Verse examples: