Here’s a great website for third graders to learn about our solar system:
Best of all, the page has an audio link so you can listen to it!
Are you interested in learning more about the new EXOPLANETS?
Astronomy: The Study of Outer Space!
It’s a BIG UNIVERSE! Where would YOU like to go?
Here is your introduction:
Research Main resources:
By the way, What exactly is the “Big Bang”?
“You don’t have to wait for announcements from NASA to see amazing pictures from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter yourself. You can wander the planet’s plains and mountains, thanks to the orbiter, which scans the planet in extremely high resolution daily, sending home striking postcards. The team that runs the mission’s main camera just posted a fresh batch, and scrolling through them offers a chance to comb over each nook and cranny in the landscape, almost like you were walking through them in person.”
Thanks, Bell Museum, for igniting our interest in Mars and Astronomy!
Above diagram from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/19344620
Nasa for Kids:
Are you lost?
You are here:
There are billions of Galaxies in the Universe. Some are very small with only a few million stars. While others could have as many as 400 billion stars, or even more. There are three kinds of Galaxies, Spiral, Elliptical, and Irregular. The only difference between the three is what shape they are.
The Local Group
There are billions of galaxies in our Universe. Most of these are clumped together in small groups. Our own galaxy which is called The Milky Way Galaxy lies within a group of galaxies that we call The Local Group.
The Local Group consists of about 30 galaxies. The three largest are The Andromeda Galaxy, The Milky Way Galaxy, and Triangulum.
A galaxy is a massive group of stars, star clusters, interstellar gas and dust, and dark matter which is all gravitationally bound together.
The Milky Way Isn’t Just A Candy Bar!
While there are, indeed, many truly astonishing facts about the night sky and its many celestial bodies, here are just a few to get you started:
1. The sun that brings us light and warmth, and makes life on earth possible, is just one member of the galaxy known as the Milky Way. In this galaxy, there are between 200-400 billion stars that are each as big as the sun or even bigger. The fact that there are so many larger and hotter stars in this immense galaxy is sure to astonish and amaze any curious little mind.
2. Not only is the Milky Way huge in and of itself, it is only one galaxy among tens of billions of other galaxies. Each of these immense galaxies contain billions of stars. What’s more, even though the Milky Way is quite huge, some of these other galaxies are even larger!
3. Even though the Milky Way is one of the smaller galaxies, it is still bigger than we can reasonably imagine. Let you kids know that if you had a really fast car that could travel at a speed of 5,000,800,000,000 miles in a year, it would still take a hundred thousand years to drive from one side of the Milky Way to the other.
4. The Milky Way is older than old! In fact, scientists believe that it is 14,000,000,000 (14 billion) years old.
How many planets are there in our SOLAR SYSTEM?
9? 8 ? Would you believe 13? or more…
Would you like to watch some videos now?
Would you like to BUILD YOUR OWN sOlAr sYStem?
Art Projects for kids: YOU CAN MAKE IT!
For Teachers ( Any adult):
Any speaking of OLD, here’s a bonus activity for fossils:
Studied this year:
1. Sally Ride
2. Mae Jemison
3. Neil Armstrong
4. Galileo Galilei
5. Isaac Newton
Are you curious about constellations? Our solar system? Planets?
Then check out a great website for children:
There are three different reading levels, Spanish, and a UNIVERSE of information!
Do you want to know about the history of rockets and space flight?
Places to start:
1. Here is a detailed timeline: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/chronology.html
2. More photos and info here: http://www.spaceline.org/index.html
3. NASA website with info on Robert H. Goddard
4. Another timeline : http://www.space.com/4422-timeline-50-years-spaceflight.html
Writing Trivia Questions? Here are some examples: